Project Kraken is a national initiative to increase public awareness of terrorism and criminal or suspicious activity at marinas, moorings or on water.
What to look out for:
- recording of power stations, military bases, bridges or critical infrastructure
- taking photographs, notes or drawings of restricted areas or ‘vulnerable sites’ (power stations, for example)
- an unusual vessel in a marina, or someone who seems to be testing the security of a marina or restricted area to see if they’re challenged
- avoiding answering common boating questions or seemingly deliberately avoiding contact with other people or drawing attention to themselves
- putting objects into the water near bridges, pipes or infrastructure
- suspicious charters or rentals; someone asking to change a route or go closer to restricted areas
- making large cash payments, or asking for daily extensions of marina or port mooring
- buying or transporting unusual equipment, chemicals, uniforms or identification etc
- trying to get employment at sensitive sites or with suppliers who have access to restricted areas or vulnerable sites
- vehicles parked in isolated places along waterways
What you can do about it
If you’d rather report anonymously, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.