Find out below how to request information the police hold on you.

You can also request details of your criminal history, whether it’s for Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks, visa applications or family court proceedings. If we can’t provide the information you need, we’ll point you to somewhere that can. 

Information notice

The public’s right of access is important to us - but there has been a significant rise in the number of requests we are receiving and although we have increased the number of people dealing with requests there remains a large backlog. This may prevent your request being dealt with within the statutory time limits, especially if it contains a lot of material or needs information from a variety of sources.

All new requests are triaged and if your request is a straightforward matter e.g. a single crime report, then it will be processed swiftly. If you are considering submitting a new right of access application, please consider whether there is an alternate route. For instance, if you require a copy of a stop slip or a copy of your custody record you can attend any Met police station to request this (within 30-calendar days for the stop slip and 12-months for the custody record).

Advice tool

Request information about myself, other than my criminal conviction history, for my own personal interest

Thank you. You need to submit a right of access request, which is the official way to request personal information, such as crime reports, that we hold about you on our databases.

Here's how to apply:


Step 1a: If you're a member of the public, please download the right of access request form.

Step 1b: If you're a current employee or an ex-employee, please download the Met's internal right of access request form*

*Please note that current employees can contact HR/OH direct for the majority of their information without the need to submit a Right of Access request by submitting a service request on MyHR


Step 2: Print and complete the form.

You'll also need photocopies or printed scans of:

  • one document proving your residential address, such as a utility bill
  • two documents proving your ID – one of which must be your passport, driving licence or identity card


Step 3: Once complete, you can either post the form and ID documents to the address below or send it via email to

MPS Information Rights Unit
PO Box 57192


Step 4: We'll investigate and respond.

In accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018, once you've submitted your request we will respond within 30 days.

Please note, it's against the law for an employer, or potential employer, to ask you to perform a right of access request as part of a vetting process.