Find out below how to request information the police hold on you.

You can also request details of your criminal history, whether it’s for Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks, visa applications or family court proceedings. If we can’t provide the information you need, we’ll point you to somewhere that can.

Advice tool

Where to request information

You can ask for information about yourself from both the Criminal Records Office (ACRO) and a local police force depending on what information you're looking for.

Both services are free.

You can ask ACRO for information about information held on the Police National Computer (PNC) which includes details of arrests, cautions and convictions.

You can ask the police for any other information held on you.

Note: To request information about an incident, you must apply to the police force where it took place. This might mean that you will have to apply to more than one police force.

Find out which force covers a location. 

How to request information

From ACRO: Visit the ACRO Criminal Records Office website, where you'll get full details of how to apply and which ID documents you'll need.

From the police: You need to submit a right of access/subject access request.

There are several ways of making a subject access request; by telephone, by email, by post, through this website using a downloadable form or in person.

However you make a request, it must include:

  • your full name
  • your date of birth
  • your address
  • a clear description of the specific information you want us to send you

We'll need to confirm your identity. We'll ask you to provide scans, photos or photocopies of official documents which between them confirm your full name, date of birth and your current address.

Exactly how to apply depends on which police force you are applying to. These instructions are for applications to us. For applications to a different police force, please visit their website for instructions.

How to apply:

Step 1a: If you're a member of the public, please download the right of access request form.

Step 1b: If you're a current employee or an ex-employee, please download the Met's internal right of access request form*

*Please note that current employees can contact HR/OH direct for the majority of their information without the need to submit a Right of Access request by submitting a service request on MyHR


Step 2: Print and complete the form.

You'll also need photocopies or printed scans of:

  • one document proving your residential address, such as a utility bill
  • two documents proving your ID – one of which must be your passport, driving licence or identity card


Step 3: Once complete, you can either post the form and ID documents to the address below or send it via email to [email protected].

MPS Information Rights Unit
PO Box 313
DA15 0HH

Step 4: We'll investigate and respond.

In accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018, once you've submitted your request we will respond within 30 days.

Please note: it's against the law for an employer, or potential employer, to ask you to perform a right of access request as part of a vetting process.