Report a missing person
You do not have to wait 24 hours to report someone missing.
Your report will be dealt with by our control room in exactly the same way whether you report it online or call 101. You will get an email confirming that we've got your report and telling you what will happen next. And you may find it easier to answer the questions online at your own pace.
Before you start to fill in a missing person form, we will ask you a few questions to make sure reporting them missing online is the right thing to do.
Report a missing person with dementia
Please call 999 to report them missing.
If you're deaf or hard of hearing, use our textphone service 18000 or text us on 999 if you’ve pre-registered with the emergencySMS service.
Tell us if you have a completed Herbert Protocol form for the missing person.
Depending on whether you have a completed Herbert Protocol form, we might ask you about:
- the missing person's contact details
- physical description and health
- any communication issues they might have
- what happened before and around the disappearance
- what they were wearing
- whether they have any money or means of transport
- their normal routine
- interests or places they might have gone, like a childhood home or taken a familiar bus journey
- previous times they went missing
- other people we might want to talk to