Unless a crime has been committed or someone is in immediate danger, the police are unlikely to intervene in civil disputes. However, we’ll put you in touch with the groups and organisations who can help. Complete the sentence below to get the advice you need to resolve your dispute as quickly and amicably as possible.

Advice tool

I’m having a dispute with an ex-partner or spouse about collecting my belongings

If you're collecting your belongings from an ex-partner's property, but are worried about your safety, you need to be cautious. 

We advise you and your ex agree to meet in a neutral location to collect your belongings – or you can arrange for a friend(s) to collect them for you.

If your ex is insistent that you meet them in person or at their property and you're concerned for your safety, you can arrange for a police officer to go with you.

Call us on 101 or visit your local police station.

Please note, if your ex doesn't agree to what you've suggested, we'd advise you not to meet them. In this case, we recommend contacting a solicitor or Citizens Advice to talk about your options. 

This information is provided in partnership with Ask the Police.