Unless a crime has been committed or someone is in immediate danger, the police are unlikely to intervene in civil disputes. However, we’ll put you in touch with the groups and organisations who can help. Complete the sentence below to get the advice you need to resolve your dispute as quickly and amicably as possible.

Advice tool

I’m having a dispute with a shop or vendor about a repair or service charge.

It’s always a good idea to agree a price for the repair of any item beforehand. However if repairs have already been made and you disagree with the price, this is a civil dispute.

You are entitled to receive a service which has been carried out with reasonable care and skill, within a reasonable time, for a reasonable price. If you feel that the price is excessive, the first course of action would be to get an independent written estimate of what someone else would charge to do the work.

If you still feel the price is excessive after this, contact Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06.

This information is provided courtesy of Ask The Police.