Unless a crime has been committed or someone is in immediate danger, the police are unlikely to intervene in civil disputes. However, we’ll put you in touch with the groups and organisations who can help. Complete the sentence below to get the advice you need to resolve your dispute as quickly and amicably as possible.

Advice tool

I’m having a dispute with a trespasser on my property.

Trespass to land is a civil wrong, which means the police have no jurisdiction. As the landowner, under common law you have a right to re-entry on the land. However, ejecting a trespasser can be complicated.

Initially, you should ask the occupier to leave the land. If they do, then all is well. However, problems can arise if they refuse.

You can find yourself guilty of several criminal offences if you forcibly attempt to remove the trespasser and their property from the land. The best and safest course of action is to obtain a court order which, if breached, may then turn the situation into a criminal matter.

If the Met attends an incident such as this, we are only permitted to observe for possible criminal offences committed by either party. We cannot assist in the removal of the trespassers or their property from your land, although if damage has been caused by larger groups of occupiers we do have some powers.

Who is responsible for rubbish left by trespassers?

If the trespassers were on council land, the council is responsible for removing any rubbish. On private land it’s the landowner's responsibility to remove the rubbish, although the local council can remove it for a fee.

This information is provided courtesy of Ask The Police.