Unless a crime has been committed or someone is in immediate danger, the police are unlikely to intervene in civil disputes. However, we’ll put you in touch with the groups and organisations who can help. Complete the sentence below to get the advice you need to resolve your dispute as quickly and amicably as possible.

Advice tool

I’m having a dispute with an ex-partner or spouse about collecting my belongings.

If you are collecting your belongings from an ex-partner's property in London, but are concerned for your safety, in the interests of precaution, we advise you and your ex agree to meet in a neutral location to collect your belongings, or arrange for a friend(s) to collect them for you.

If your ex is insistent that you meet them in person or at their property and you are concerned for your safety, it is possible to arrange for a Met officer to accompany you. Call us on 101 or visit your local police station.

Please note, if the other person does not agree to the action you’ve proposed, we would not advise you to attend as this risks a breach of the peace. In this case we recommend contacting a solicitor or Citizens Advice to discuss your options.

This information is provided in partnership with Ask The Police.