Are you ready for a new challenge? Do you want to take your career to the next level? Are you looking for an opportunity to embrace your motivation and innovation for driving improvements in policing? Then we have an exciting opportunity for you.
The National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC)
The National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) brings UK police leaders together to set direction in policing and drive progress for the public. It enables chief constables and their forces to work collectively and collaboratively to help policing coordinate operations, reform, improve and provide value for money.
Policing is operating in a time of global change and uncertainty. The public and our staff need a service that is responsive, able to tackle future challenges, and embrace opportunity. The NPCC aims to support our operationally independent chief officers in their ambition to meet this need. We have been able to do this by adhering to the NPCC principles of coordination, collaboration and communication, through the strength of our policing network and effective partnership working.
NPCC Strategic Hub Organisational Development and Change team
The Organisational Development and Change (ODC) team is a newly established function for the NPCC Strategic Hub. It has responsibility for driving continuous improvement across the NPCC, delivering projects of work, and giving advice and guidance to ensure development activity is in line with NPCC and wider policing strategies. The teamwork with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders to ensure the NPCC is able to support chief officers in the constantly evolving areas of national policing.
As a senior manager within the ODC team, you will lead a portfolio of change and improvement initiatives relating to the NPCCs Digital, Data and Technology (DDaT) Plan and Hub Delivery Plan. These will be aligned to the NPCC strategy. You will manage a small team of ODC experts and will work with senior stakeholders across the policing landscape, influencing and negotiating, and providing advice and guidance.
Scope and accountabilities
- oversee programme management activities in line with DDaT objectives and deliverables. This includes ensuring the development and management of programme and project plans, benefits and risk tracking and change management
- engage and maintain relationships with senior stakeholders across NPCC, Policing Digital Service (PDS) and relevant partners and stakeholders
- ensure timely and accurate assurance documentation, progress, risk, benefit and financial reporting as required to meet the needs of NPCC and external stakeholder governance arrangements
- provide advice and guidance on the development of NPCC Strategic Hub DDaT initiatives and change management processes including support to NPCC senior stakeholders, project managers, change agents and subject matter experts where appropriate
- act as a point of contact for advice and guidance on NPCC DDaT development and change
- promote the highest standards of integrity, professional conduct and equality at all times
- provide line management of project managers, the benefits manager and the business analyst ensuring performance, welfare, wellbeing and development requirements are managed accordingly
Skills and experience
You will need relevant skills and experience to do the following:
- provide leadership of large change and improvement initiatives across the NPCC to ensure the ongoing improvement of NPCC operating practices
- develop strong and professional working relationships and credibility with senior leaders with the NPCC coordination committee structure including other committee coordinators and colleagues within the Strategic Hub Home Office, Associations of Police and Crime Commissioners (APCC) and College of Policing
- represent the head of ODC and the Strategic Hub at internal and external forums
- have detailed experience and knowledge of developing and implementing DDaT business change and solutions at a strategic level
- analyse and update reports on progress against delivery
- ensure that the risks and issues are monitored on a regular basis and actively updated and mitigated against. Risks and issues are escalated when appropriate
- engage with the NPCC risk management process, providing date and analysis for new and existing threats, flag up specific threats in a timely manner
- produce relevant papers, documents and reports to inform and support key decision-making structures, benefit and performance management and the implementation of priorities
Desirable criteria for the role
- significant, demonstrable leadership experience in policing or other public sector organisations
- understand the complexities of the challenges that national policing currently faces across workforce related themes, including interdependencies with more than one strategic business area
- communicate effectively both verbally and in writing directly to varied audiences including chief constables, police and crime commissioners and staff associations
- demonstrable ability to work on own initiative, manage and facilitate workshops, analyse and collate information to produce clear, concise products and reports as required
What we offer (to name a few)
- good insight into the strategic priorities of the NPCC and UK policing
- opportunity for development and to broaden your experience at a senior, national level
- opportunities to undertake engagement with a range of stakeholders across policing and government
- flexible and remote working
Find out more
This is an exciting opportunity within NPCC, within a fast-paced environment and an ever-growing organisation. Should you want to know more about the role, we strongly encourage you email Tracy Holyer, Head of Organisational Change and Development.