3. Departmental overview and vacancies
Commercial services pro-actively manage all of the Met’s trading relationships and provide advice and support to enable Commands and Business Units to maximise value for the taxpayer.
Our commercial activity covers far more than procurement and buying goods and services as effectively as possible; we manage the commercial relationships with all outsourced suppliers, we maximise revenue from third parties, we generate income by leveraging our IP (Intellectual Property) and Assets, and we analyse spend to ensure we make best use of our scarce resources.
Maximising revenue and ensuring value for money from the Met's overall budget is our focus and this drives us to work with the business to define new ways of working that are more efficient, effective and affordable.
Like most organisations the Met is transforming the way we both police London and run the business in order to meet ever more, demanding challenges, Commercial Services is a key enabler of these changes.
Commercial Services has seven pillars dedicated to supporting the Met, they are:
- Corporate & Professional
- Counter Terrorism & Covert
- Property & Estates
- Enablement & Performance
Commercial Services aspires to:
- Providing world class commercial expertise, advice and support throughout the lifecycle from policy development to delivery, driving better performance, savings and commercial benefits.
- Fostering healthy and diverse supply markets, engaging effectively with suppliers and partners to create value, access innovation and manage risk appropriately.
- Ensuring an environment that promotes transparency and collaboration, that is attractive to suppliers, delivers on MPS commitments and maximizes positive social impact.
- Being an inclusive and brilliant place to work, demonstrating commitment to the development of our colleagues, and continuous improvement in what we do and how we do it.
- Promoting a commercial culture across the MPS and MOPAC and providing all MPS employees with the resources and skills they need to achieve great commercial outcomes.
- Enabling the development of commercial capability across policing as a whole and amongst our partners.
- The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) Commercial Function are responsible for delivering end-to-end commercial lifecycle management and supporting the wider business in working with third parties.
- The MPS spends about £800 million each year on a diverse range of goods and services and we aim to procure them in the most cost effective and compliant way, while satisfying often urgent operational needs.
In addition to large-scale transformation within the Commercial team, there's the unique and ever-evolving challenge of policing London. This means that there are more opportunities for you to get involved with making London the safest global city in a time of unprecedented change within the UK's largest Police Service.
In 2020, the MPS Commercial Function revised its operating model to provide both accountability for activity covering the commercial life cycle as well as relevant Business Partnering responsibilities across the wider business.
You will provide essential commercial support to senior commercial staff within the Commercial team and the wider business, working on specific tasks within the category.
You will contribute to delivering commercial excellence for the Met, providing a customer focused service, understanding the business need and stakeholder drivers, with the aim of becoming a trusted commercial advisor. You will also support development of relationships with MPS’s key and strategic suppliers, driving value for money and risk management excellence across the category.
Our roles will enable you to develop your skills, experience and knowledge of business, commercial and procurement principles, processes and practices. It will also provide training opportunities for your continued professional development.
The MPS Commercial Function is working closely with the Government Commercial Function as it seeks to increase commercial capability across the organisation. This role has been mapped to Commercial Specialist level, and the typical attributes of a role holder can be found in the government Commercial Function People Standards.
We view diversity as fundamental to our success. To tackle today's complex policing challenges, we need a workforce made up from all of London's communities. Applications from across the community are therefore essential.
Does this sound like you? If yes, start your application now.
There are currently no vacancies in this team.