Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.

Advice tool

Apply for a certificate to acquire and store 15kg to 2000kg of explosives

How do I apply?

Step 1: Familiarise yourself with the Explosives Regulations 2014.

Step 2: Download and complete the Application for a Storage Licence Under the Explosives Regulations 2014 form (Form ER2).

You'll need these details:

  • your National Insurance (NI) number
  • address of the explosives store
  • explosives to be kept and quantities


Step 3: Check the Health and Safety and Nuclear (fees) Regulations 2016 to find the fee for your application.

Make out a cheque for this amount, payable to the Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC). 

Step 4: Post your completed form to:

Metropolitan Police Firearms Enquiry Team (FET)
Marlowe House
3rd Floor
109 Station Road
DA15 7ES

Please note: Our offices are on a secure site that's not open to the public. Reception staff will only accept post delivered by the Royal Mail. We can't accept items delivered personally or by courier.

How much does it cost?

There are different fees depending on where the explosives will be stored and the duration of the certificate. Find which fees you'll need to pay

What happens after I apply?

We'll get in touch as quickly as possible if we have any questions about your application or need to ask for more information.

Otherwise, we'll contact you within six weeks.