Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate for the Greater London area. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.
Apply for a certificate to travel with a firearm to the UK from a country outside the EU.
Thank you. In this case, you will need a 'sponsor' to apply for a visitor's permit on your behalf. This person must be resident in the UK.
A typical application takes six weeks to process.
Please ask your sponsor to take the following steps:
Step 1: Download and complete our Application for a Visitor's Firearm/Shot Gun Permit form (Form 107).
They will need:
- a copy of your current firearms certificate (if applicable)
- your club or society details (if applicable)
- if neither of the above apply, a confirmation of good character letter from government or police
- details of where your firearms will be stored whilst in the UK
- details of which firearm or shotgun and ammunition you will be acquiring, using or transporting
- your criminal conviction history (if applicable)
Step 2: Make out a cheque or postal order for the appropriate fee (see below), payable to the Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC). We cannot accept cash.
An application for 1 to 5 people is £20.00 per person
An application for a group (6 to 20 people) is £100.00
Step 3: Post the completed form, documents and cheque or postal order to:
Metropolitan Police Firearms Enquiry Team (FET)
The Empress State Building
8th Floor, Lillie Road,
Please note, our offices are on a secure site which is not open to the public. Reception staff will only accept post delivered through Royal Mail. We cannot accept items delivered personally or by courier.
Step 4: We'll get in touch as quickly as possible with your sponsor if any corrections to the form are needed. Otherwise, they should receive your permit within eight weeks.