Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate for the Greater London area. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.

Advice tool

Apply for a certificate to travel with a firearm from the UK to an EU country.

Thank you, in this case, please follow the steps below.


Step 1: Apply for a European Firearms Pass (EFP) by writing to:

Metropolitan Police Firearms Enquiry Team (FET)
The Empress State Building
8th Floor, Lillie Road,


Please be sure to include:

  • your full name and contact details
  • your current certificate number
  • the shotguns and/or firearms you would like to include on your EFP

We'll get in touch as quickly as possible if any corrections to the form are needed. Otherwise, you should receive your permit within eight weeks.


Step 2: Contact the British embassy, consulate or high commission in your destination country. They will be able to advise you on the necessary steps.


Step 3: Contact your airline and travel company to ensure you comply with all of their security requirements.