Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate for the Greater London area. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.

Advice tool

Apply for a certificate to acquire less than 15kg of explosives for use other than in a firearm or reenactment.

Thank you. Here's how to apply:


Step 1: Familiarise yourself with The Explosives Regulations 2014.


Step 2: Download and complete our Application for Explosives Certificate form (Form ER4).

You will need these details:

  • your home addresses from the last five years
  • your firearm or shotgun certificate (if applicable)
  • previous explosive certificates (if applicable)
  • any previous convictions
  • any physical or mental health conditions

In this form you'll also need to specify whether you plan to acquire, or acquire and keep, the explosives.


Step 3: Post your completed form to:

Metropolitan Police Firearms Enquiry Team (FET)
The Empress State Building
8th Floor, Lillie Road,

Please note, our offices are on a secure site which is not open to the public. Reception staff will only accept post delivered through Royal Mail. We cannot accept items delivered personally or by courier.


Step 4: We'll get in touch as quickly as possible if you need to make any corrections to your form. Otherwise, we will contact you within six weeks.