Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate for the Greater London area. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.

Advice tool

Apply for a certificate to acquire and store 15kg to 2000kg of explosives.

Thank you. Here's how to apply:


Step 1: Familiarise yourself with The Explosives Regulations 2014.


Step 2: Download and complete our Application For A Storage Licence Under The Explosives Regulations 2014 form (Form ER2).

You will need these details:

  • your National Insurance (NI) number
  • address of the explosives store
  • explosives to be kept and quantities


Step 3: Visit the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website to understand which fees you will be required to pay.

Make out a cheque for this amount, payable to the Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC). 


Step 4: Post your completed form to:

Metropolitan Police Firearms Enquiry Team (FET)
The Empress State Building
8th Floor, Lillie Road,

Please note, our offices are on a secure site which is not open to the public. Reception staff will only accept post delivered through Royal Mail. We cannot accept items delivered personally or by courier.


Step 5: We'll get in touch as quickly as possible if you need to make any corrections to your form. Otherwise, we will contact you within six weeks.