If you're collecting for charity in London you may need a licence. The Met is the licensing authority for all charity collections that involve fundraisers going house-to-house, whether that's for cash, direct debits or clothing. We also license street collections of cash, but not where fundraisers are collecting direct debits. Those types of collection are managed by the Institute of Fundraising. Answer a few quick questions below to find out if you need a charity collection licence, what kind you need and how to apply.

Advice tool

I'm collecting for charity during a borough carnival along its route.

Thank you. In this case you'll need a street collection licence.

Here's how to apply:


Step 1: Download our Street Collection Dates and find a date, or dates, for your collection


Step 2: Download and complete our Street Collections Application Form 

You will also need: 

  • a letter of sponsorship from the Mayor of your chosen borough or boroughs
  • a letter from your chosen charity authorising you to collect on their behalf
  • a synopsis of the charity’s background and objectives
  • contact details of a chief promoter, who must be an employee of the charity


Step 3: Send your completed form and accompanying documents to:

Charities Office
9th Floor East
Lillie Road

Or email them to: charities@met.police.uk


Step 4: We'll respond as quickly as possible if there is a problem with your application, otherwise your licence should arrive within four weeks


Please note, we must receive applications by the first day of the month before your chosen collection date. For example, if you’re planning to collect on 20 September we need to receive your application no later than 1 August.

You can find all of the details above on our street collection licences page, along with advice on the next steps.