If you're collecting for charity in London you may need a licence. The Met is the licensing authority for all charity collections that involve fundraisers going house-to-house, whether that's for cash, direct debits or clothing. We also license street collections of cash, but not where fundraisers are collecting direct debits. Those types of collection are managed by the Institute of Fundraising. Answer a few quick questions below to find out if you need a charity collection licence, what kind you need and how to apply.

Advice tool

I'm collecting for a charity that is registered with the Institute of Fundraising or the Fundraising Regulator.

Thank you. In this case you'll need a house to house collection licence.

Here's how to apply:


Step 1: Download and complete our House to House Collections Application Form 

You will also need:

  • a letter from your charity authorising you to collect, and manage collections on their behalf
  • details of the people who will be collecting
  • the charity’s Institute of Fundraising or the Fundraising Regulator membership details
  • if the charity is collecting for the first time: a synopsis of the charity’s background and objectives, and plans for the funds raised


Step 2: Send your completed form and accompanying documents to:

Charities Office
17th Floor East
Lillie Road

Or email them to: charities@met.police.uk


Step 3: We'll respond as quickly as possible if there is a problem with your application, otherwise your licence should arrive within four weeks


Please note, we must receive applications by the first day of the month before your chosen collection date. For example, if you’re planning to collect on 20 September we need to receive your application no later than 1 August.

You can find all of the details above on our house to house collection licences page, along with advice on the next steps.