If you’ve received a form 3708 seizure notice or your vehicle was seized on suspicion of being driven without a driving licence or valid insurance then you need to go to this page to find the right information.

If your vehicle was impounded by the Met because it was:

  • stolen and found by the Met in London
  • involved in a collision
  • parked illegally
  • involved in a crime
  • driven in an anti-social manner
  • causing an obstruction or danger
  • abandoned after an incident involving the police

… then you’re in the right place.

How to reclaim your vehicle

If your vehicle has been impounded and is being kept at one of the Met’s impounds then you’ll receive a notice letter when it’s ready for collection. This letter will contain detailed instructions and let you know which pound your vehicle is being kept at.

To reclaim your vehicle you will need to go to the correct pound to prove your identity and your ownership of the vehicle, and pay any statutory charges.

You’ll need to bring the following with you:

  • Proof of identity – valid photo ID (a passport, driving licence, EU national identity card, immigration document or Freedom Pass. Student or employer’s ID won’t be accepted.)
  • Proof of ownership – the full log book (V5C) or a new keeper supplement (V5C/10) together with a verifiable and ‘in date’ bill of sale
  • MOT – unless the vehicle is being removed from the pound on a recovery truck it will need either a valid MOT (depending on the age of the vehicle) or evidence of a pre-booked MOT appointment
  • Insurance certificate – if you do not have a valid insurance policy the vehicle cannot be driven on the road and will have to be removed from the pound on a recovery truck.

If someone is reclaiming the vehicle on your behalf

If it’s not possible for the legal owner of the vehicle to go to the pound in person then someone else can collect on their behalf.  

The person collecting the vehicle on your behalf must bring with them the documents listed above and also:

  • An authority letter – a letter signed by you giving the person the authority to collect on your behalf
  • A copy of your passport or driving licence – so we can verify the signature on the letter of authority
  • A valid certificate of insurance

Collecting property from an impounded vehicle

If you want to get property from the impounded vehicle, but not the vehicle itself, you will still need to bring proof that you are the owner or registered keeper of the vehicle (a V5C or V5C/10).

If you can’t attend then someone else can collect on your behalf; they will need to bring a letter of authority, signed by you, giving them permission to collect property from the vehicle and a copy of your passport or driving licence so we can verify the letter is signed by you.

Please note: if the vehicle is badly damaged it might not be possible to get into it to remove property.

If your vehicle has been issued with a PG9 prohibition notice, is not roadworthy or won’t start

We don’t allow repairs to be made to vehicles while they’re at the pound (this includes changing tyres, repairing windscreens or jump starting).

Where possible the pound staff will try to assist you with jump starting, but this is not always possible. You will be required to sign a jump starting indemnification form.

If your vehicle has been issued with a PG9 prohibition notice, isn’t roadworthy or won’t start them you will need to arrange for a fully trained, equipped and insured vehicle recovery operator to collect at your own expense.

Recovery operators

If you are a recovery operator collecting a vehicle from the pound you must:

Read and sign the ‘Recovery instructions and operator’s declaration’ available as a download PDF below.

Produce the correct paperwork as explained in the ‘Documents required by recovery operators for recovery from the pound’ available as a download PDF below. You will also need to bring a letter of authority from the owner or keeper, as explained above, if they do not come to the pound with you.

Comply with the ‘Loading and unloading guidelines for recovery operators’ available as a download PDF below

Things to be aware of

  • bring a set of keys if possible, in case the driver did not leave the keys in the vehicle
  • if the vehicle has been in a collision and you’re not sure it’s roadworthy then consider having it recovered by a professional recovery operator
  • we highly recommend taking your vehicle to a garage for a safety check if you’re getting it back after it’s been stolen
  • we’re not able to advise on whether your vehicle is roadworthy
  • if your vehicle doesn’t have correct number plates and you’re planning on driving it then you’ll need to bring valid replacement plates with you when you collect it

Provisional driving licence holders

If you’re driving under a provisional licence then you will need someone with you who is over 21 and has held a licence for more than three years.

You will also need to make sure you have L plates on the vehicle. If you forget to bring them with you these can be purchased at the pound.


Statutory charges apply to most vehicles removed to a pound, depending upon the reason for removal. These charges are set by government and not the Met and vary depending on the weight and condition of the vehicle.

In most cases where the vehicle is not badly damaged or off the road, the charges will be:

  • two wheeled vehicles - £150 removal charge and £10 per day storage
  • cars and light vans - £150 removal charge and £20 per day storage

We can’t accept payment over the phone, the cardholder must attend in person.

We don’t accept cheques or American Express card payments.

We do accept:

  • cash (British currency only)
  • Visa card
  • MasterCard
  • Maestro card
  • Solo card

If you don’t want to reclaim your vehicle

If you don’t want to reclaim your vehicle you need to go to the pound with proof of identity and ownership, pay any charges and sign a disclaimer for the vehicle.

The vehicle will be disposed of straight away and you won’t be liable to any additional storage or disposal charges. You may still be liable for any penalty charge notice issued.

Disposal charges:

  • Car and light van - £75
  • Two wheeled vehicle - £50