You are looking at our new website.
The threat of terrorism in the UK is real, but with a little knowledge you can increase your safety and help protect yourself against a terrorist attack. Find out below how to stay safe when you’re out and about and how to report any suspicious behaviour that could be connected to terrorism.
What can I do as someone who works in London?
We need the help and support of individuals, businesses and communities across London to remain alert and maintain the safety and security of those places in which we live, work and socialise.
Crowded places, events, public transport, and iconic locations are some examples of locations that could be potential targets for terrorists. All of these are to be found in London.
You are familiar with your workplace and surrounding area, so you’re ideally placed to spot when something is amiss. In this period of heightened alert, it is vital to remain vigilant, trust your instincts and report possible terrorist activity to the police.
Look for anything that seems out of the ordinary, such as:
- People in stationary vehicles watching a building or structure
- Vehicles moving slowly near public buildings, structures or bridges, or parked in suspicious circumstances
- People using recording equipment, including camera phones, or seen making notes or sketches of security details
- Someone suspicious paying close attention to specific entry and exit points, stairwells, hallways or fire escapes
- People loitering at or near premises for long periods and watching staff, visitors and deliveries for no apparent reason
- People asking detailed or unusual questions about buildings and business operations, facilities (such as room layouts), security or parking for no apparent reason
- Challenge those in offices and ‘off limits’ areas, plant rooms and similar – report matters immediately to your security manager or dial 999
If you’ve witnessed any of the above, trust your instincts and report it using our online tool or call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321. Our specially trained officers will take it from there.
Where can I find security advice for my business or organisation?
For general information, visit our contact us page and select 'I'd like to get some advice'.
Specialist officers from the Met also carry out regular security briefings for the business community as part of Project Griffin - a joint venture between London’s City and Metropolitan police services.
Officers from Operation Fairway also deliver counter-terrorism briefings to raise awareness of suspicious activity in the workplace and surrounding area. For more information, you can email the Operation Fairway team.
Counter Terrorism Security Advisers can identify and assess critical sites in your community that may be vulnerable to terrorist or extremist attack. They then devise and develop appropriate protective security plans to minimise impact on that site and the surrounding community. For more information, email the CTSA.