If you’re a foreign national and due to live in London, you may need to register with the Met shortly after you arrive. If this is the case, it should be written on your entry visa vignette, biometric residence permit (BRP) or Home Office letter approving your application for leave.

Find out more below about who needs to register with the police, who is exempt, and how to get a Police Registration Certificate (PRC).

Important information - please read

Temporary process to manage high demand

To avoid overcrowding and help people to be seen more quickly we've put the following process in place as we continue to experience a higher than normal number of people visiting our office:

  • Admission slips – in order to register or report an update to your existing Police Registration Certificate (PRC),  you will need to attend our office to collect an admission slip. The slip guarantees you entry to our office at a later date and are only issued to the customer requiring registration or an update during our opening times and not to friends or family. Appointments cannot be booked online.

Festive Holiday closure dates:

We will be closed for the festive holidays from Monday 25 December 2017 to Monday 1 January 2018. We will re-open at 9:00am on Tuesday 2 January 2018.

Please note

Failing to register with the police when you are required to do so is an offence under Section 26(1) (f) of the Immigration Act 1971. You could be liable to a fine of up to £5000 and/or 6 months’ imprisonment. Your current or any further application for stay in the UK could also be affected.

Do I need to register with the police?

If you need to register with the police on your arrival to London, it should be written on your entry visa vignette, biometric residence permit or Home Office letter approving your application for leave. We are unable to register you if you do not have a requirement in writing on any of these documents.

Typically you’ll need to register with us if you’re 16 or older, and are from one of these countries:

Afghanistan Cuba Libya Syria
Algeria Egypt Moldova Tajikistan
Argentina Georgia Morocco Tunisia
Armenia Iran North Korea Turkey
Azerbaijan Iraq Oman Turkmenistan
Bahrain Israel Palestine UAE
Belarus Jordan Peru Ukraine
Bolivia Kazakhstan Qatar Uzbekistan
Brazil Kuwait Russia Yemen
China Kyrgyzstan Saudi Arabia  
Columbia Lebanon Sudan  

There are some 30-day visas that require you to register with the police. If this is the case it will be written on the visa. The requirement may be shown as, ‘Pol Reg’, ‘Police Registration’ or 'Register with Police in seven days of UK entry'. Please check to be sure.

Who doesn't need to register with the police?

If you have dual nationality with one country in the list above and one country that is not, you don’t need to register with the police.

Likewise, you don’t need to register if you have permission to live permanently in the UK, are the family member of an EEA citizen, or are visiting on a temporary visa as one of the following:

  • An agricultural worker

  • A private servant in a diplomatic household

  • A minister of religion, a missionary or a member of a religious order

  • The partner of a person settled in the UK

  • A person with access rights to a child resident in the UK

  • The parent of a child at school

  • An accepted asylum seeker

If any of the above apply to you and you have been given a requirement to register with the police, this may be an error. You should contact the Home Office to query the requirement. 

What is a Police Registration Certificate?

A Police Registration Certificate is a document that proves you have complied with the requirement of your visa. We’ll issue one to you at the end of your registration process.

Your PRC may be accepted as proof of identity in the UK. However, we don’t recommend you carry it with you. Please keep it in a safe place with your passport and travel documents. If you are asked to produce your PRC by a police officer you will have 48 hours to do so at any police station.

How do I register and get a PRC?

You can register as an overseas visitor in London at the Overseas Visitors Records Office. On the day of your visit, please remember to bring all the necessary documents with you. When your registration is processed we’ll issue your PRC there and then.