You are looking at our new website.
Over 15,000 motorcycle, moped and scooters were stolen in London in the last year - half of all vehicles stolen in London.
It takes a matter of seconds for a thief to steal a moped, scooter or motorcycle, especially if they are left either unsecured or with inadequate security.
Gone in less than 60 seconds
See how quickly you could become a victim of motorcycle, moped or scooter theft...
Layer up security
The Met has launched a campaign to raise awareness with scooter riders of what they can do to reduce the risk of their scooter being stolen.
It focuses primarily on scooter riders, who are less likely to use strong security products compared with motorcyclists who are biking enthusiasts.
Scooter theft has risen 50% over the last two years in London and is linked to an increase in criminals using them to commit other crimes such as phone snatches.
The More Visible the Security, the Less Visible your Scooter is to Thieves
The campaign encourages riders to layer up their security to better reduce their vulnerability to thieves, using the strapline: ‘The more visible the security, the less visible your scooter is to thieves. Adding extra security makes it harder for them to steal’.
The campaign is ongoing and involves:
- An online video showing how easy it is to steal scooters and how to lock your scooter correctly.
- Social media, digital advertising and stencilling in parking bays to raise awareness of the risks and what riders can do to make their bikes less attractive to steal.
- Holding a series of events at scooter parking bays where officers can provide advice to owners of scooters and motorcycles on how they can better secure their bikes.
- Working with local employers to educate staff and run events in hotspot areas.
- Working with insurers, CBT providers and dealerships and manufacturers to promote our message, introduce security awareness at the point of purchase and training to help riders develop long term security behaviours.
- Speaking to companies that use scooters as delivery vehicles about strategies to improve the safety of their bikes.
- Working with partners to develop long term preventative measures, such as better provision of ground anchors in parking bays.
Find out how you can protect your scooter from thieves.
Supporting Be Safe
We are keen to hear from and work with organisations and businesses who feel they can help support this campaign. A range of materials and communication tools are available to download for partners here.
For further information on how you can get involved, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.