Image of Ali
The material on this page is for media organisations only. Please do not publish links to this page.
This page was last updated on
An armed robber responsible for seven robberies over a period of less than three months has today, Thursday, 11 September, been jailed for 10 years.
Yasir Ali, 32 (26.10.81) of Maybury Road, E13 targeted bookmakers across central and east London; in one case committing offences at separate premises three days in a row.
On most occasions Ali would enter the premises with an accomplice, threaten staff with a pistol and demand money.
Detectives from the Metropolitan Police Service’s Flying Squad East were able to link Ali to all seven offences - committed between 22 January and 4 April 2013 - via a number of means, including his method of offending, and the recovery of relevant clothing at his address following his arrest. Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) analysis also revealed that Ali’s was the only vehicle in the vicinity of some of the offences.
Ali was arrested on 21 November 2013, and charged in January 2014. He appeared for trial on Wednesday, 6 August at the Old Bailey where he subsequently changed his plea to guilty for 12 offences (seven robberies and five firearms offences) after the start of the trial.
Inquiries to trace a second suspect who often accompanied Ali continue.
List of offences:
- 22 January 2013 at around 20:30hrs at Ladbrokes in Commercial Street, E1: Ali intimated that he had a firearm inside a plastic bag. He threatened the cashier and passed a demand note across the counter. An amount of money was handed over.
- 5 March 2013 at around 21:35hrs at William Hill, North Row, W1: Ali and a second male suspect stated that they had a gun and demanded money. Staff were able to retreat to the safety of a back office. The pair made off with an amount of money.
- The following day (6 March 2013) just after 21:00hrs at William Hill, Commercial Street, E1: Ali and a second suspect threatened staff with a pistol and demanded money. Having been given an amount of cash they ran from the premises.
- 12 March 2013 at around 21:40hrs at Ladbrokes, Barking Road, E14: Ali and a second suspect threatened staff with a pistol and demanded money. Staff retreated to the safety of a back office. The pair stole an amount of money and left the scene.
- The following day (13 March 2013) at around 21:55hrs at William Hill, Duke Street, W1: Ali and a second suspect threatened staff with the pistol and demanded money. Staff were able to run downstairs to safety and the suspects fled without any money.
- The next day (14 March 2013) at approximately 20:10hrs at Ladbrokes, Commercial Street, E1: Ali and a second suspect produced the pistol and threatened staff who handed over an amount of money. Suspects then left the scene.
- On 4 April 2013 at approximately 20:20hrs at William Hill, Commercial Street, E1: Ali attended the premises alone and intimated that he had a firearm concealed inside a plastic bag. He demanded money from the safe which the cashier handed over and Ali ran off.