History of the Metropolitan Police
The Met Collection where history comes to life
Would you like to learn more about the history of the Met? Then you're on the right site.
The MPS holds a valuable collection of historical artefacts, including uniform and equipment, some of which date right from the start of the service in 1829, as well as a comprehensive archive of written and photographic material which traces the development of modern policing.
There are all sorts of areas we can help with including:
- answers to genealogical enquiries from service families and members of the public.
- loans of uniforms and artefacts to enable OCUs to mount displays at local events.
- vintage imagery in high resolution digital format.
- learning packages developed with the Open University are now available.
- a wealth of knowledge about the history of the MPS.
Come and see some of the artefacts on display. After your visit to the collection you can also buy Metropolitian Police gifts and souvenirs.
The Met Collection will be open every Monday to Friday between 10am and 4pm
We look forward to seeing you.
Location: Empress State Building, Empress Approach, Lillie Road, London, SW6 1TR
Telephone: 020 7161 1234